PURPOSE OF COURSE:
The purpose of the course is to provide opportunities for students to increase their knowledge of the nutritional aspects of lipids, to critically read the current literature, to communicate the author’s ideas, and to communicate their own ideas using traditional techniques and the latest techniques accepted by peer reviewed journals. A project addressing a real world nutrition problem will replace the traditional exams.
COURSE GOALS AND/OR OBJECTIVES:
By the end of this course, students will:
• Practice reading and evaluating, in an organized written format, the current literature concerning the nutritional aspects of lipids.
• Demonstrate their skills at leading and participating in oral discussions concerning nutritional aspects of lipids.
• Apply some nutritional aspect of lipids to a current research problem facing the nutritional community.
• Provide editorial assistance to another student’s application of some nutritional aspects of lipids to a current research problem facing the nutritional community.
• Demonstrate ability to communicate via a graphical abstract and a video abstract that are being used by more and more journals.